Full time General English courses
We are a communicative method language school
At its heart the communicative approach means that we teach how the language is used by real people. Grammar and vocabulary are important but we learn best when we place it in context, when we learn what we can do with it rather than as another item on a list. So in our general English classes you easily learn how to speak and listen. For example you would start with talking about your last holiday (past simple tense) and your plans for your next trip (‘be going to’ for future plans). We also train and encourage our English teachers to use a range of approaches in class and to incorporate elements from different methodologies where appropriate, from the lexical approach to task-based learning. Each student has their own way of understanding so a varied approach allows for every student’s learning style to be catered for.
We offer general English courses from every level from beginner (A1) to advanced (C1). The course programmes for each level are 12 weeks long with built-in assessment designed to monitor your progress and indicate when you are ready to move to the next level. Progress tests are held monthly and are designed to test your English skills relative to your specific level. This ensures that you are always in the right class for your development.
We operate an integrated syllabus which balances work on the four key skills of speaking, reading, writing and listening with contextualised language input including grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation. Language is presented and skills developed in recognisable and useful communicative contexts. Our teacher training programme is designed to emphasise the importance of placing all language in the context in which it is used. Thus, helping teachers to continuously improve their skills at doing so.
The course programmes are mapped from the Common European Framework of Languages with set learning outcomes for each week and level of the course. These learning outcomes form the basis of your progress and final course report and are designed to assess and credit what you can do with English, not what you cannot.
Built-in Exam Preparation Included in Every Course
Every General English Course includes one day of exam preparation per week. This ensures that all our students are able to take a recognised international exam at the end of their course and gain a result that reflects their abilities. The specific exam depends on level but includes TIE, PET, FCE, CAE and IELTS. For more information on the exams please see our Exams page.
On completion of your course you will receive your course certificate and an exit report which gives more detailed information on your ability to communicate in English.
(Please note that all non-EU long-term students are required to take an internationally recognised exam as part of their course by the conditions of their visa.)
The classes are:
- 9:00 – 12:15, Monday to Friday/15 hours per week
- 12:45 – 16:00 Monday to Friday/15 hours per week
Exam preparation classes for all levels will take place on Thursdays and Fridays.
The levels are:
- Elementary – CEF level A1- A2
- Pre Intermediate – CEF level A2-B1
- Intermediate – CEF level B1-B2
- Upper Intermediate – CEF level B2-C1
- IELTS preparation
|15 hours/week||9:00 – 12:15||12:45 – 16:00|
|25 academic weeks||€2350||
|21 hours/week||9:00 – 12:15 / 12:45 – 16:00|
|25 academic weeks||€3,250|
Why choose Erin School of English?
- Improve your English in every way – Our full time English courses are designed to help you with your speaking, listening, reading, writing and grammar. All of the grammar and vocabulary work is based on Cambridge exam material.
- Practical English – using syllabus based on the European Framework ‘can do’ tasks.
- Real feedback from your teacher – We award you a certificate at the end of your course (all academic course students are required to sit the TIE/Cambridge/IELTS exams in order to obtain the end of course certificate), and you have the option of getting a full report from your teacher.
- You get the opportunity to do a practice exam – Erin School is a practice test centre for Cambridge ESOL exams including KET, PET, FCE, CAE, CPE and IELTS. The exams are corrected by Cambridge examiners who provide feedback.
- Teachers will answer any questions you have – Your teacher is a fully qualified English speaker.
- Learner Protection Policy, Medical Insurance and TIE exam are included in the 25 weeks fee.
*Adult classes may include students from age 17 and upwards.