We have gathered some of the most frequently asked questions from our students and answered them in this Q&A article. We will commit keeping it updated as more questions pop up. If you want an answer to yours, post it in the comment section below the article.

*A small disclaimer first – some of the topics discussed below are for students that are not EU residents.


Why learn English in Dublin, Ireland?

Dublin is the main choice among international students who want to learn English. This has happened for a few different reasons. Soon it might be the only English speaking capital left in the Eurozone and it is also a very friendly and welcoming city. It is full of cosmopolitan streets, museums, art galleries, parks, and restaurants. Here anyone feels at home and it is very easy to meet and connect with new people from all over the world. 

How do I obtain a visa to study in Ireland?

The first step to applying for a Stamp 2 visa, is to register to attend regular English classes for 25 weeks in one of the schools on the list of institutions approved by the Irish government (GNIB). After arriving in Dublin, and showing the documents that prove your registration and the reason you come to the country, you will need to schedule an appointment at the Irish Immigration Office and attend an interview, where you have to show all the documents required by the government. 

How to get an appointment with GNIB?

The appointment for your interview at the Immigration post must be done at the website of the institution. To help you get an available date more easily, you can also use the apps of the immigration official website, suitable for IOS and Android phones. Read how to get your appointment quicker.

How long can I stay in Dublin studying English?

The Stamp 2 visa allows the student to stay in Dublin for 8 months – 25 weeks of regular English classes and 8 weeks of holidays. 

Can I work during my courses?

If you are an international student holding a Stamp 2 visa, you are also able to work for up to 20 hours per week during school time, and up to 40 hours per week during your vacation time. There are many ways to find a job as an English student in Dublin and develop even more of your English skills. Check our guide on finding a job in Dublin. 

How can I find a job in Dublin?

The first step to finding a job in Dublin is having a well-made CV, both online and printed. We can assist you in creating your CV for Irish employers. Then you can start searching online on websites like Jobs.ie, indeed.ie and jobbio.ie. However, you can also dig around the Dublin streets looking for signs “staff wanted” in stores, restaurants, coffee shops, and more. You can find new job opportunities every day.

Can I visit home during my time in Dublin?

Of course, you can. All students living in Dublin can visit their own country during the exchange. Just don’t forget that when you are coming back, you need to bring all the documents proving why you are returning to Irish lands (school letter). 

Can I take a course for a second time?

If by the end of your initial 8 months in Ireland you realize you still want to keep improving your English skills, you can renew your English course at the school for another semester. Erin School always has good renewal offers for students who decide to stay in Dublin for another semester. 

How many times can I renew my course?

Every student has the chance to renew their visa two more times, for 8 months in each renewal or up to 24 months in total. Each period consists of 6 months of classes and 2 months vacation.

About Dublin: 

How can I navigate in Dublin? 

The city has three main public transport options: Dart trains, which run through the city center to the outlying regions such as Greystones, Howth, and more; The Luas tram, with access to the northern and southern parts of Dublin; And the Dublin Bus, with buses running from all parts of the city from 5 am until 11:30 pm. You should purchase your Student Leap Card to get a discount when using transport.

What transportation can I use to school?

The school can be easily accessed by the Dublin Bus, Luas or Dart. For the students living out of the city, in locations such as Bray, or Malahide, the Dart trains are the best choice. In addition, for those who choose to live in Dublin city center and the surroundings, the Dublin Bus and the Luas are good alternatives.

What landmarks in Dublin can I visit for free?

Dublin is a cultural city with lots of interesting places to visit. The best part is that most of them are free to enter and near Erin School. In town, you can go to Trinity College, The Dublin Castle, St. Stephen’s Green park, The National Gallery, Natural History Museum, The National Library, and more.

The school also organises trips and excursions with the classes

How do I open an Irish bank account?

To open a bank account as a student in Dublin, you will need to have proof of your address, which needs to be a letter from one of the official Irish departments, such as Revenue or Department of Social Affairs. Furthermore, you will need to go to a bank office also carrying your passport or driving license and previous utility bills. It will take up to five working days for the bank to register your application, create your new account and send the debit card to your house. To speed up the process it is recommended to go to an office away from the city centre.

How can I find a place to stay in Dublin?

The school offers assistance and three accommodation options.

However, if you want to look on your own there are many ways to find a house in Dublin or different types of accommodation to choose from. The first step must be considering your monthly budget and how much you can spend on rent, and after that, look for Facebook groups, websites such as dafiti.ie, and talk to your school, which can also help you find a good place to stay. We have a few more tips on the topic here.

Will I make any new friends in Dublin?

Certainly. Dublin is a very friendly and welcoming city. It’s a hub for international students who are seeking to make new connections. Because of that, the Irish capital is the perfect place to meet new friends and give a push in your social life. 

About studying English in general:

Which exam should I take TIE, IELTS or Cambridge?

Taking a proficiency test in English is your way to prove your language skills, and use it in your life after the end of your course. These tests are made to assess your English abilities in different ways including writing, interpreting and understanding English, speaking, and listening. After passing one of them you will be certified according to your English level.

To get a better understanding of the differences between these exams and which one will better suit your need we have prepared this article.

There is also a guide on how to increase your score with these exams.

How can I improve my English as quickly as possible?

There really aren’t any shortcuts. The best way to improve the efficiency at which you progress is to practice a lot and learn as many new words as possible. You should go to classes every day, join the extra activities and use your free time to keep improving your skills. You shouldn’t be hesitating to speak with people around Dublin when there is an opportunity to do so. Dubliners are warm, friendly and welcoming people.

In our blog, you can the list with the 10 best tips to improve your English as quickly as possible.

How can I get all the documents that I need to work in Dublin?

To work in Dublin as a student you will need to get your VISA and, after finding a job, you will need to get your PPS – Personal Public Service, and register yourself at Revenue to receive your income. To get your PPS your new employer will need to give you a letter proving your relations with the company. 

About Erin school:

Is Erin School of English officially certified?

Yes, Erin School of English is certified by the Irish government and recognized by ACELS – the national body responsible for the development and management of an inspection and recognition scheme for English Language Teaching organizations in Ireland. 

Will the school assure a good quality of learning to me?

All English teachers working in Erin School are university qualified with recognized TEFL qualifications. They are required to maintain academic excellence through continuous training programs so the staff is continuously improving the service and tuition. 

Why is Erin School different from the others in Dublin?

Because It doesn’t just count on its infrastructure and great location. The school has highly qualified teachers and a pro-student learning process. By studying at Erin you also have the chance to take daily extra activity classes, which happen every day afternoon, and are a great way to socialize and learn the language in a more casual manner. 

How close is the school to the city centre?

Erin School is located in the cultural and geographical city center of Dublin, next to O’Connell Street. Our historical building is located at 43 North Great George’s Street, Dublin 1.

Map of Dublin showing Erin school at the center near Temble bar

What is the class timetable at Erin School?

The students can choose between taking classes in the morning (from 9:00 – 12:15), or afternoon (from 12:45 – 16:00), Monday to Friday for a total of 15 hours per week. Each turn is divided into two classes of one hour and 30 minutes duration, having 15 minutes break between them. One thing to point out is that the school is required by law to follow a strict attendance policy which means that you need to participate in a minimum of 75% of the classes.

How many students are there per class?

All classes have 15 students max.

Where are the students from?

Students come from all over the world. During classes, you will be able to discover more about other cultures and develop your English skills and make new friends. 

Does the school provide exam preparation?

Yes, all students enrolled in a 25-week academic programme (6 months) are required to sit an international exam. Erin School of English includes exam preparation in its courses which will help you pass the TIE exam.

Can I take IELTS or Cambridge exams?

You can upgrade your package to the IELTS or Cambridge exam instead of TIE. You can even do that at a later time when you already have started going to your classes. To make up your mind easier, there is a Free IELTS preparation class every Tuesday organised from the teachers which you can attend.

What happens if the school cannot provide courses during my studies there?

Erin School has a Learner Protection insurance which guarantees that all students will be taken care of, if, for any cause, the school ends its activities. In case of this, the insurance will give the students the option of finishing the classes in another school or be reimbursed. A good English school would offer the Learner Protection to its students. 

Is the school infrastructure good?

The school provides well-prepared classrooms with all needed accessories to improve the learning process, such as projectors, computers, grammar books, and fully new furniture. There is also a cafeteria and a leisure room where scholars can hang out and play pool for example. Erin is located in a historical building in the heart of Dublin, with easy access to all parts of the city and many transportation options. 

Does it have any extra activities?

There are daily after-class activities designed to unintentionally practice your newly acquired skills in English while doing other things.

It is the best time to socialise with others and communicate in a new angle. The programme changes regularly and is a mix of different activities but here are some example classes that have been included before:

  • Conversation classes 
  • Zumba dancing
  • Origami preparation
  • Classes for learning another language – Japanese, French, Spanish, Italian, etc.
  • Acting classes
  • Trips, excursions etc.

Will I get a certificate after finishing my classes at Erin School successfully? How can I use it?

All students receive a certificate when they finish their course and pass the exam. In the document, you will find the level you achieved and graduate from. You can use the certificate in case you want to continue your studies, for example, in a university when applying for a job in front of an employer.

A graduate posing with her diploma